The VdR–Development Lab is conceived as a workshop for the development of projects from Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Eastern Europe. It offers the directors and producers the opportunity to be tutored through the development-phase in order to more easily reach and access the international market. In addition, each selected project receives a grant of CHF 5,000.
The aim of VdR–Development Lab is to stimulate the creative documentary sector in these regions during the sanitary crisis and help new projects enter the international market.
The 2022 edition of the Lab provides a tailor-made program to assist the development-phase of 4 projects, including:
-tutoring on artistic development, as well as the refinement of a dossier and further tools of presentation;
-specific tutoring on the visual material and the editing of a teaser;
-participation in the 2022 edition of Visions du Réel with consulting, matchmaking and networking.
In addition to the assistance and coaching during the development-phase, each participating team will receive a grant of CHF 5,000.-
This development grant can be used for research, development of the screenplay or production of promotional material (including the production of a teaser).
In addition to those 4 projects, the Festival will invite a few further teams to participate in the VdR–Development Lab and receive some specific tutoring.
The call for the 2022 VdR–Development Lab is open until October 31, 2021. To submit your project, please click here.
We are looking for projects:
– in feature length which reflect the strong vision of the author, with precise formal intentions and which have the potential to reach a global audience. Thus, we are looking for projects with international potential (both in terms of production and distribution).
– at the development stage: with the idea of the story already fleshed out, a draft of the script already written, and some footage already shot (projects entirely shot are not eligible).
– directed by filmmakers from and living in the above-mentioned regions (in one country of the DAC List of ODA Recipients).
– All directors attached to the project must have the nationality of a country as defined on DAC List of ODA Recipients.
– In addition, if a producer is already attached to the project, his/her company must be based in a country appearing on the DAC List of ODA Recipients.
– Applications must be accompanied by visual material of the project. It can be a teaser or selected research material. Link to at least one previous work is also required.
– Entry forms must be filled out in English. Visual material and the full current version of the dossier can also be sent in French for the selection process, but the Lab participant must speak English.
The call for the 2022 VdR–Development Lab is open until 31.10. 2021.
The selection of the 4 projects will be announced by mid-November, 2021.
Tutoring sessions will run from the beginning of December, 2021 until mid-November, 2022.
Visions du Réel takes place 7–17.4.2022
VdR–Development Lab will be held online all around the year and on-site, in Switzerland, during Visions du Réel 2022 in accordance with the sanitary restrictions and recommendations for international traffic in force at that period.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org