Media Library Terms & Conditions – Edition 2018
The Media Library puts the spotlight on approx. 400 new European and international documentaries, allowing herewith to grasp the diversity of the cinéma du réel. The Media Library is a selective online catalogue and contains:
- The films of the 2018 Official Visions du Réel selection
- Documentaries recommended and selected by the Festival's Selection Committee and Visions du Réel's INDUSTRY department
- Documentaries proposed by producers and sales agents and selected by Visions du Réel's INDUSTRY department (films with international sales potential produced in 2017/2018)
- Regional selections of documentaries suggested by external partners and national film centres
All films of the Media Library feature in the market online catalogue. The Media Library will be put online two weeks before the Festival and it will be available for a total of three months.
The Media Library 2018 will be accessible both on-site and online.
On-site: 30 posts will be available with an interactive film display system which offers the possibility to watch films and obtain information as well as getting in contact with right holders.
During the Festival (13.04.-20.04.2018) the Media Library on-site is open from 14.00 to 20.00 on Friday (13.04), from 9.00 to 20.00 from Saturday to Thursday and from 9.00 to 17.00 on Friday (20.04).
Online: films in the Media Library will be available for viewing online for INDUSTRY accredited professionals via an authentication login (see Conditions of Use below) during 3 months, and 2 weeks for Press-accredited professionals.
- The Media Library users do not have the right to download, reproduce, stream or share any of the Media Library content without authorisation from the rights holders.
- Visions du Réel shall not be held liable in case of copyright infringement by a third party (e.g. by streaming, downloading, or more generally exploiting without authorisation) with regards to any of the films of the Media Library.
- Accredited professionals (INDUSTRY and Press accreditation holders) attending the Festival receive an authentication login.
- Each Media Library user is responsible for the safeguarding and use of his/her login. The login is personal and cannot be shared with third parties. Any use of the Media Library with the login will be considered to have been made by the user him/herself. If a user feels that his/her login is fraudulently used by a third party, he/she must immediately inform Visions du Réel.
- Film entries are only possible for films that have been produced within 12 months preceding the Festival.
- There is no limit to their running time.
- They should have international sales potential for TV buyers and other distributors.
- The submitter of each film must ensure that he/she holds all the rights (including but not limited to intellectual property rights) necessary for authorising such viewing. Visions du Réel shall not be held liable in case of copyright infringement by a third party (e.g. by streaming, downloading, or more generally exploiting without authorization) in relation to any film presented in the Media Library. Thus, each rights owner warrants Visions du Réel against third party claims regarding rights owners' content uploaded in the Media Library.
- To submit your film to the Media Library, please first create a personal profile on MyVdR (if not already done so) and then fill in the Media Library Form. The information and visual material provided (see Media Library Form) will be used for the compilation of the Media Library online catalogue. Please note that the film registration for the Festival is also valid for the Media Library, there is no need to register a film twice.
- Selected films for the Media Library will be confirmed by email. The necessary indications to finish the registration will be provided and must be completed before the deadline announced in the correspondence.
- The films entered for selection must be provided as digital files (or two DVDs) in their original version, subtitled in English only.
For the DVDs, cost of insurance and shipping will be paid by the sender, including the fees of forwarding agents and costs relating to customs import and export duties. DVDs will only be returned upon request by the sender. They are destroyed six months after the end of the Festival. Important: For DVDs coming from abroad, please write the following on the parcel: «No commercial value. For cultural purposes only». The value mentioned on the customs documents must not exceed €10. Please send two DVDs. If you wish Visions du Réel to digitise the first set of DVDs sent for the pre-selection, please state so. See below for digitising advice.
- A trailer with English subtitles (3 min.max) is also required to present your film on Visions du Réel website. Please make sure to send it as a digital file to [email protected] by Wetransfer
- In order to promote your film among the professionals attending Visions du Réel INDUSTRY, promotional material can be sent at the participant's cost and should arrive before the end of March 2018:
Two posters of the film (A1 or A2)
25 flyers max.
The best way to promote your film is to take part in the Festival personally, that's why we offer you a special rate for the INDUSTRY accreditation if your film is part of the Media Library.
If your film is selected, you will be able to pay the participation fee (see Terms of Payment below) via Paypal or ProxyPay on the same platform (a "Pay now" button will appear).
For digital files: Please provide a downloadable, password protected link, via the submission form or by email, of the original and completed version of your film with English subtitles only.
- Max file 8 GB per video
- Accepted formats: mp[e]g, avi, vob, mov, mp4
- Videos Codecs: MJPEG, Apple ProRes, H264 (bitrate if possible) > 2MBit/s and uncompressed (very large file)
- Résolution: PAL and NTSC (as well as SECAM) from 720x400px up to Full HD material (1920x1080px)
- Audio 48kHz sound PCM (only uncompressed) / MP3 / AAC (if possible > 160 kBit/s)
- File must be multiplexed (audio and video in one file)
- Avoid interlaced videos -- this results in bad video quality. Upload only progressive or de-interlaced videos
- Ensure the video has no colour bar, or blackness before or after it ends
- Subtitles must be integrated/burned into the image
For best encoding results we recommend: .mp(e)g file format with MPEG 2 video codec or H.264/MPEG-4 codec for best quality.
Screens located in the Festival will be showing trailers of the Media Library films. Note that the sound may not be audible; the titles and credits must be embedded in the image; there must be no text in the 70 pixels of the upper part as this strip will be used by the Festival.
All material is to be sent to the following address:
Visions du Réel INDUSTRY
Place du Marché 2
CH – 1260 Nyon
The films that will be part of the Media Library will be digitised and/or processed by Visions du Réel's technical staff. To ensure the best quality of images and sound, we ask you to check the following:
- DRM copy protections and other alterations are to be avoided.
- Verify that the film shows correct screen proportions: 16:9, 4:3, anamorphic (PAR).
- Make sure that the film does not begin with a black screen, a test chart or a sound test signal. The same applies for the film's end.
- Be sure that the sound remains at a normal and optimal level all through the film.
- An inlaid time-code is not necessary.
- When engraving a record select a high-quality DVD (media).
- Avoid using copies of copies. A copy of the original master is the ideal choice.
- Copies provided by DVD recorder with embedded hard-drive should be avoided.
- PAL format (versus NTSC or SECAM) is preferable.
Once you have received information on the selection of your film(s) for the Media Library, you will have to confirm the submission by paying CHF 120 (+7,7% VAT) per film.
Special rates are applied for Festival Partners: CHF 60.- (+7,7% VAT = 64,80.-)
If a film happens to be selected for the Festival then the Media Library fee will be waived.
+41 22 365 44 55
Visions du Réel INDUSTRY
Place du Marché 2
CH – 1260 Nyon
Participation in Visions du Réel INDUSTRY Media Library implies full acceptance of these pre-required conditions.