LOS FANTASMAS DEL CARIBE
by Felipe Monroy
Switzerland, Colombia, France, 2018, 89'
World premiere VdR2018
With this new film, Felipe Monroy, a Colombian director living in Geneva, continues his work on the memory of his country. Back in Bogota after many years of absence, he starts revisiting his family’s past, tinged with a violence that echoes that of an entire nation. So, as the peace process then ongoing between FARC and government is perhaps about to turn the page after more than 50 years of war, the director starts his own effort at reconciliation, of which the film is both the instrument and the result. What can be done with poorly healed wounds? And what place can film take in this perilous exercise in forgiveness? It is simultaneously as son, brother, Colombian and filmmaker that Felipe Monroy tackles these questions and there lies the beauty of the film. It manages to look at the ghosts of the past straight in the eyes, adopting the contradictory sentiments that it provokes in its author and that it invites us to share.
Special screening on Saturday 24 November at 20:45 at Cinémas du Grütli, then Monday 26, Tuesday 27 November and Sunday 2 December 2018 in the programme Festival FILMAR en América Latina in Geneva.
Distributed by Adok Films, official release as of 5 December.
Avant-premières in the presence of the filmmaker all around French speaking Switzerland:
- Saturday 1 December at Cinéma Royal Sainte-Croix
- Sunday 2 December at Cinéma Bio. Official avant-première followed by a drink and a debate
- Monday 3 December 20:30 at Cinémas Capitole Nyon
Win tickets: send CARIBE to email@example.com
Play before 02.12.2018
- Tuesday 4 December Cinéma Rex Fribourg
- Wednesday 5 December Zinéma Lausanne
- Friday 7 December Cinéma Rex Vevey
- Saturday 8 December Passion Cinéma Cinémas Rex and Apollo Neuchâtel
- Wednesday 12 December Ciné-Doc Cinéma La Bobine La Vallée de Joux
- Tyhursda 13 December Ciné-Doc Cinéma Urba Orbe
- Friday 14 December Ciné-Doc Cinéma d’Oron Oron-la-ville
- Saturday 15 December ABC La Chaux-de-Fonds