by Pierre-François Sauter
Switzerland, 2016, 116'
World premiere and special mention of the Jury Swiss Cinema Visions du Réel 2016
José, of Portuguese origin, and Jovan, a Serbian Roma, who both work for an undertaker in Lausanne, have been instructed to transport the body of a man to Calabria. For the two colleagues, this is the beginning of a witty road-movie with tones of Faulkner, which makes use of a split-screen technique to transform the hearse into the stage of a theatre. And in this travelling setting, the two immigrants gradually discover each other, share jokes, and become aware of their differences and, above all, of what brings them intimately close to the dead body with which they are travelling: the shared condition of having one day been uprooted.
Out in French speaking Swiss cinemas
* 5 November 2017, 18:30, Cinéma City Pully, avant-première (sold out)
* from 8 November 2017, at Zinéma (Lausanne), at cinéma Minimum (Neuchâtel), at Cinéma d'Oron
* 11 November special screening in the presence of the filmmaker at Cinéma Royal, Sainte-Croix, 17:00
* 23 November special screening in the presence of the protagonist José Russo and the filmmaker, at Cinéma La Grange Delémont, 18:00
* 13 December special screening in the presence of the protagonists José Russo and Jovan Nikolic and the filmmaker, at Cinélux (Geneva)
Official website: www.calabria-film.com